Monday, January 21, 2008

Saturday Crusing in Memphis

I probably should have made tracks into Memphis on Friday night as there were a few bands I really need to be checking out.

I did stop into Wet Willies on Beale Street but I just wasn't in the mood for super loud music - though I did happen to catch the trailing in act of the band across the street where in which one fellow was playing a Gibson SG. It's just my luck, I sit down to watch and the show is over.

Just as well, as I'm thinking more and more about getting a Gretsch or maybe just the Wal-Mart special guitar... I did happen to step into a pawn shop, but they've priced everying well above what there items are worth. Not much of a deal in those places anymore. Especially in a town where there are probably more musicians and luthier than one knows what to do with. Much like Nashville where darn near everybody is a singer or a guitar player, or were at one time or another.

I could have swore I saw a famous guitar guy eating some chicken with two of his pals. But, the service was lousy and so I left. Probably best not to post the name of the establishment in the even the guy stops in there often.

Though, I did finally establish a solid route on getting to Sun Studio and is now easy to find.
Drove around looking for St. Blues Guitars Headquarters - as there sign has a lot to be desired.
If they had any business savy they'd have painted a huge guitar on the front of there building, or hired the local graffti kid to paint them something - as he'd be the last one to paint over his work.

As the International Blues Challenge date grow closer the more excited I get. Not really, but I do wonder are some of these acts really worth watching and laboring thru ? Stop by airport and pick up yellow ear plugs.... To cut down on the audio and preserve ones hearing.

No comments: